Every new mom needs help, but moms of multiples need extra help! Many families expecting multiples are flooded with offers of help, which is wonderful. Experienced help from a postpartum doula can be vital to these families.
- Provide hands-on education on infant multiples and mother care
- Provide hands-on education and support for tandem nursing, pumping and feeding of multiples
- Create a nurturing, restful atmosphere in which parents may eat, shower and nap
- Prepare snacks and meals, make sure mom is well hydrated
- Assist with laundry, dishes, meal preparation and other light household chores to allow mom & dad to focus on bonding with new babies
- Spend time with the babies, allowing parents to cuddle and have quality time with older children or just be alone together
- Introduce parenting tips, helping parents to learn skills that will enable them to cope with their new responsibilities
- Screen for hurdles such as breastfeeding challenges or postpartum mood disorders
- Make referrals to any local or informational resources that the parents might need
- Help to organize the nursery and home
- Offer a listening, non-judgmental ear
Darcy Sauers is a certified postpartum doula, certified lactation counselor and the owner of Dover Doula (www.doverdoula.com) in the Seacoast, NH area. She has experience helping families with twins and triplets and is passionately committed to helping ALL new moms find the support, resources and information they need. Please do not hesitate to contact Darcy with any questions at darcy @ doverdoula.com or 603.988.5945. For more information on breastfeeding, the postpartum period, prenatal yoga or local resources and events for new moms, follow her on Facebook.